SIR CAN WE MEET YOU?
*I am Salim Wada, the CEO of Rescue the Women Foundation
SIR, WHAT IS THE BACKGROUND OF THIS NGO AND WHAT LEAD TO ITS ESTABLISHMENT?
*Rescue the women foundation is a non-profit organization established for the purpose of bringing down the rate of women and children sexual violence to a barely minimal level, providing a free confidential medical service to rape victims, empowering the victims, creating awareness on sexual violence and supporting the less privileged populace that are likely prone to such menace.
OK SIR, IN WHICH STAGE OF DEVELOPMENT IS YOUR ORGANIZATION RIGHT NOW?
*We are relatively moving forward which is due to full cooperation and participation of our members together with our hard working management.
IS YOUR ORGANIZATION WORKING AS A SINGLE ENTITY OR WITH SUBCOMMITTEES?
*We have designed committees to ease the strategic implementation of our goals. The committees are as follows:
(1) Public awareness committee (P.A.C.) in charge of spreading enlightenment programes via any media available
(2) Voluntarily Care and Supporting Committee (V.C.S.C) with the mandate of rendering medical and financial assistance to victims confidentially.
(3) Awareness Action Plan Committee (A.A.P.C) having the assignment of designing the strategic plans to reduce the menace of rape and ways to reach every nook and cranny with our campaigns.
(4) Truth and Dignity Committee (T.D.C) with certain legal responsibilities for the organization; and
(5) Information and Communication Technology Committee (I.C.T) with the technical duty of handling all the ICT related issues working hand in hand with all the committees and the secretarial department of the organization.
THAT’S GREAT! BUT SIR HOW DID YOU FUND THE ORGANIZATION?
*Our funding source for now are internal majorly from the donations within ourselves and occasionally certain individuals with philanthropic spirits, though we are still trying to have any stable funding source from national and international NGO’s or any government agency which similar mandate.
However, we are really appreciating the effort of CHR (Community Health Research and Initiative Nigeria) chaired by Dr. Aminu Magashi Garba for their kind support to our organization in terms of capacity building and some strategies that can assist us go forward.
WHAT ARE THE OTHER WAYS YOU INTEND TO ESCALATE YOUR FUNDING’S?
*We thank God Almighty because with the little we have our organization is moving smoothly and we hope it will continue in that trend with geometric progression by the grace of God.
But we really need support from donor agencies, national or international NGO’s like UNICEF, WHO, SAVE THE CHILDREN, MNCH2 and other foundations that we operate on similar frequency.
WHAT ARE THE GENERAL ACHIEVEMENTS SO FAR?
*From October 23rd, 2016 when this organization was established to August, 2017 which is exactly 10 month we have at least;
- Supported three raped victims.
- Weekly publication on our social media platforms on Rape prevention strategies, dangers of reckless life style, effect of victim stigmatization etc.
- We also visited some radio stations for awareness on sexual violence against women and teenage girls.
- Organizing campaign sensitizations in some State Secondary Schools.
- Creating good relationship with National Human right Commission and some Religious groups and agencies to propagate similar ideology.
WHAT ARE THE DISTURBING CHALLENGES THAT BEWILDER THE ORGANIZATION?
*Our main challenge is just an in-House challenge then if I may say little or no present of certain standard philanthropic organizations in our movement.
YOUR LAST WORDS, SIR.
*We please urge people to avoid the habit of hiding rape issues without bringing the case to legal notice for the fear of stigmatization. Parents especially mothers at home should ensure the safety of their children by monitoring their movement so as to safeguard their safety. Organizations and individuals both at corporate and societal level should also try as much as possible in supporting the less privileged people as it’s been proven been one of the leading factor to sexual violence. Thank you.
THANK YOU SIR.
Rescue the Women Foundation can be contacted via these handles @ Facebook: Rescue the women foundation, Twitter:@rescuedwomenfoundtn, EMAIL: email@example.com